Saturday, August 27, 2011

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM

PROVERBS 9:8-9
Do not rebuke a mocker or he will hate you, rebuke a wise man and he will love you. Instruct a wise man and he will be wiser still; teach a righteous man and he will add to his learning.
The word rebuke here actually means  "constructive criticism". I dont know about you, but I have always hated criticism, constructive or not. I viewed criticism as an enemy trying to harm or destroy me, so I fought it and resisted it. Some of that could have to do with who was doing the criticizing and what was their angle and their attitude.
Its easy for me to learn when I am sitting listening to motivational, inspirational, and educational insights, but its the things that I might not be doing so good that really need the attention! I've always taught others that we will never be all we can be until we allow someone to put a demand on our life. It was great advise until I decided to try it myself.
I just came through a 3 month season of "constructive criticism" allowing mentors, coaches and pastors to put a demand on my life. It is very humbling not to mention difficult, especially when you view yourself as "all is good" ( the enemy of great), however according to our text it shows wisdom, and God rewards wisdom and the pursuit of it.
when we are wise we will want to please God welcoming CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM FROM A TRUSTED FRIEND.
There really inst any integrity to my correction to others if I am not willing to be corrected. With all that being said, " don't rebuke a mocker" ( someone not trying to progress) and please don't  think you have the right to go and start correcting people, that comes through a relationship that is trusted, and earned.
NUFF SAID

No comments:

Post a Comment