Thursday, September 29, 2011

THE BIG BROTHER SYNDROME

LUKE 15:29 Look! all these years I have been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends.                                                        If you have been following my blogs you have probably figured out that I am writing them for my own benifit, therapy I guess. Lessons I am learning and still learning in my own journey, but thanks for coming along for the ride. I have preached many messages on the prodigal son, perhaps missing an equally important message with the son who stayed home. I have been serving God my whole life so I never totally related to the prodigal son, but this second son guy, he is a totally different story. He had become arrogant about how well he was doing (performance).
His stressing and striving had made him bitter, and missing the blessings that come freely from the father. He felt his hard work entitled him to rewards. I have seen many Christians, including the one in the mirror, caught up in a performance style of Christianity. For me it was my insecurities that drove me to perform, work harder, do better, etc. Missing the revelation that God simply loves me for who I am, not what I do. Because he loves me there is already an inheritance (blessings) for me, not based on what I do.
This Sunday I am launching New Generations Church, It is so freeing and life giving not to be stressing or striving, but just being one of his sons. Don't get me wrong we have done some work! But my self worth comes only in the fact That I am his son!
This Sunday I am asking for the Fat calf to be slaughtered, because I am planning a party with my friends!
JUST A THOUGHT

2 comments:

  1. Because he loves me there is already an inheritance (blessings) for me, not based on what I do. - Word!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah the 'good son' probably didn't realize how bitter he was, until he observed his brother getting all the undeserved goodies.

    Maybe it's a reminder to us, not only to be thankful for our blessings NOW, but also to examine our hearts too. Because if this 'good son' had been examining his heart before this, he wouldn't have had this kind of reaction in the first place.

    Maybe if the good son's heart was right he would have been out to meet the 'bad son' along with his dad. Imagine how that welcome would have made the 'bad son' feel.

    ReplyDelete